Sunday, January 18, 2009

Somewhere Over the Craphole

I promised my friend Emily a while back that I would write about one of our craptastic Friday night outings. Oh, where to begin!? We started out the night at dinner with family and friends. Later on, we had the great idea to go check out a new music venue, (Le) Poisson Rouge, and go see a band Emily loves, School of Seven Bells. After them Juan McLean was supposed to go on and in between sets, DJ Justin Miller (DFA) would spin. Sounds like an awesome night, right? Wrong! Dear friends (and strangers?), if anyone ever suggests going to (Le) Poisson Rouge, just say NO.

First of, the venue itself was pretty terrible. There was barely anywhere to sit, the bar was at an awkward angle of the venue/stage and it took about an hour to get a drink at the overpriced bar. Second, the freaking smoke machine!! I mean, seriously? Do you need to pump out rancid smelling smoke into the crowd every 15 minutes?! Then, for the piece de ressitance...after School of Seven Bells played, quite possible the worst band I've ever heard came on. I was seriously offended for School of Seven Bells, I mean, what does that say about you when the venue booked the WORST BAND EVER to play after you. The band's name is Free Blood and I can't even begin to describe what they sounded like. There was nothing melodic, inspired, cool, avant garde or anything about them. Just terrible guitar playing and horrible singing. Let's just say they were band enough to have cleared a packed house in less than 10 minutes. Everyone basically ran away to the downstairs bar in horror.

What upsets me the most about this place though is that whoever books the shows has (generally) excellent taste in music. It's been a while since a NY venue has had such consistently good electronic/DJ acts in a row. Unfortunately even the good music can't save this place. I guess all and all it was ultimately my fault. I should have known better considering the venue is located in Frat, er, Bleecker st.

No comments: